Some history of the Hacienda San Augustin de
Since the 15th century it has served as Inca fortress, Augustinian convent and temporary home for the French Geodesic mission - whose scientific results helped to change the shape of the planet.
General Leonidas Plaza Gutierrez, who was President of
Ecuador on two occasions and one of the prominent leaders of the Liberal Revolution at the turn of the century, bought the farm in 1921.
The Plaza family has been involved in politics ever since the independence movements in South America in the 19th century. Galo Plaza Lasso, son of General Leonidas Plaza also became President in 1948.
The Hacienda remains in the family to this day and is currently owned by the General's granddaughter, Mignon Plaza, whose father, the distinguished congressman and legendary amateur bullfighter, Jose Maria Plaza, continued to play a pivotal role in politics.
The house is being restored by the present owner Mignon Plaza.
Due to its architectural importance, the restoration is taking place along side an archaeological research project sponsored by National Geographic Society, and lead by Dr. David Brown, archaeologist and professor of the University of Texas together with the participation of experts from Ecuador and Peru.